There are a ton of awesome creative writing opportunities at UCLA if you know where to look. Fortunately for you, we’ve made it easier by putting them all in one place.
(Did we miss you on this list? Let us know about your UCLA student group/publication at email@example.com!)
- The English major includes an option for a creative writing concentration.
- You can take the following classes (non-majors welcome!):
- English 19 (some Fiat Luxes are creative writing workshops)
- English 136 (poetry workshop – by application only)
- English 137 (short story workshop – by application only)
- English 138 (special topics – by application only)
- Film 133 (screenwriting – open to nonmajors on second pass enrollment)
- Not a student? The UCLA Extension Writers’ Program is the largest open-enrollment creative writing and screenwriting program in the nation.
Literary Journals & Zines
- Westwind publishes quarterly online journals and an annual print journal.
- Nothing New publishes issues every new moon.
- The UCLA BEAT features work by members of the UCLA health sciences community.
- Satyr Magazine is a quarterly satirical magazine.
- The Westwood Enabler is a satirical newspaper founded by a member of the Writer’s Den (hi, Luke!). You can also check out their guide to comedy at UCLA.
- The Daily Bruin accepts applications in fall and winter and offers invaluable experience in reporting, editing, graphics, video, radio, and more.
- OutWrite Newsmagazine is UCLA’s official queer newsmagazine and accepts applications quarterly.
- UCLA Radio is available online and accepts interns quarterly.