Tabling at the Enormous Activities Fair is always intense, for lack of a better word. Yesterday was no different. In four hours, we consumed 1.5 bags of candy (we’ve done better), handed out a few hundred flyers, used the phrase “UCLA’s creative writing club” probably upwards of a thousand times, and ultimately had 227 (!!!!!!!) new people sign up to receive more information about how to get involved. The Writer’s Den is different every year, and I for one am SO excited to see what this year has in store.
For those of you who just found us and are looking for a general idea of what we do, and for those of you who are returning and want to know what’s coming up, here’s a list of 5 things to get excited about:
1. Meetings start next week. If you feel your Tuesday evenings might benefit from strange writing prompts (often involving zombies), the opportunity to hear & share original creative writing, and an endless stream of awkward jokes and/or puns, be sure to check out our meetings on Tuesdays at 7pm in Clicc Lab C, which is located on the third floor of Powell!
2. Volunteering! Interested in sharing your love for creative writing & storytelling with kids? Look into our volunteering program! Not available to volunteer at any of the listed times? Too busy to commit to volunteering weekly? Fear not! We have some one-off collaborations with other service groups in the works on different days & times.
3. Our first field trip of the year: once or twice a quarter, we hop on a bus and go somewhere vaguely literary or artsy or just plain cool. The first field trip we have planned for this year is a scavenger hunt at the Getty Museum on the Sunday after week one (October 12), and it’s going to be AWESOME.
4. NaNoWriMo! In exactly one month, thousands of writers around the world will lose sleep, shirk other responsibilities, and WRITE LIKE CRAZY to produce a novel in only thirty days. If you are one of those brave souls, you are in luck, because we are setting up a support group just for you! Expect, pep talks, moral support, and on-campus write-ins galore.
5. Meeting fellow Bruin writers: I am really looking forward to meeting all of you, and I hope you’re looking forward to meeting each other! The Writer’s Den may always be changing, but one thing is always true: the people are awesome. When I discovered the Writer’s Den in my freshman year, despite my shyness and refusal to actually initiate a conversation with anyone, I somehow knew I’d found My People– maybe we are Your People, too.
For the dates & times of upcoming events, check out our Event Calendar!