I don’t know about you guys, but at least half of my writing process involves staring blankly at an empty notebook or a blinking cursor, completely overwhelmed by all of the stories I want to tell but don’t know how to put into words. Sometimes, though, the blankly-staring part has more to do with all of the ideas I don’t have. If I knew how to deal the first dilemma, I’d be a much more prolific writer than I am – the latter, on the other hand, is a bit easier to deal with. So, for those of you who could use a bit of inspiration, I hope this post helps a bit!
- Rewrite your favorite song as a play or story. Alternatively, write your favorite story as a song.
- Choose a song, poem, or paragraph, and write something new using exactly all of the same words (no more, no less)
- Write about someone who is completely horrendous and awful in every way imaginable.
- Write something that incorporates all of these elements: a treasure chest filled with 80s films, a consecration, strawberry jam, and a mariachi band.
- Describe whatever project you are currently working on in 20 words or less.
- Write the travelog of a stowaway on a submarine.
- Write about one of these photographs.
Let’s stop at 7, because that’s, lucky, right? If you’d like, send us what you come up with (or anything else you’d like to share) at firstname.lastname@example.org ! Feel free to share in the comment section, too!
On an unrelated note: this is the first blog post in a while, but we will be posting more frequently and regularly during the school year. If you have any suggestions, or if there is anything in particular you’d like to see, please let us know in the comment section or via e-mail! Thanks!